Parents are not just the life-givers for a child; they are the foundation pillars of a child’s overall personality. Hence, upbringing them in the right manner, teaching them good manners and moral values should be the most important concern for you, if you are a parent, or planning to be one.
Even a slight mistake or carelessness from your end can affect your child’s ability to deal with all the failures, conflicts and struggles that life may throw at them. At the end of the day, we all want our children to be successful, happy, humble, well-mannered and well-cultured. Hence, it is advisable to let your kids imbibe quality traits from the important life lessons of ‘Swami Vivekananda’.
Swami Vivekananda, as you may know, was an Indian monk who introduced the philosophy of Yoga and Vedanta to the Western world. His lectures, writings and teachings are the major source of inspiration for most of the youth study circles, organizations and service projects. This is why his birthday - 12th of January – is celebrated every year as the National Youth Day in India.
To put in simple words, the philosophy of Swami Vivekananda consists of eye-opening lessons on life, spirituality and love. Teaching the same to your child during the tender growing years can help him/her cope with the real world challenges with great confidence and grace.
So, here are some of the most popular life lessons or teachings by Swami Vivekananda that you must definitely impart to your child -
1. “You cannot believe in God until you believe in yourself.”
2. “Do one thing at a Time, and while doing it put your whole Soul into it to the exclusion of all else.”
3. “Neither seek nor avoid, take what comes.”
4. “In a conflict between the heart and the brain, follow your heart.”
5. “Truth can be stated in a thousand different ways, yet each one can be true.”
6. “The sign of life is strength and growth. The sign of death is weakness. Whatever is weak, avoid!”
7. “Talk to yourself once in a day…. Otherwise, you may miss meeting an excellent person in this world.”
All of these teachings have a deeper meaning to them. One, who succeeds in cracking the gist or essence of these lessons, can easily succeed in shaping a better life for oneself as well as the people who surround him/her. So, do teach your kids about these wonderful philosophies that actually work in the real world.